Water Loss / Leaks
Who Do You Call When You Suspect a Leak, or See an Unattended Water Flow?
- District Customers are responsible for the repair and maintenance of the water system and plumbing facilities from the water meter to - and including - all plumbing fixtures on their property. If the leak is on the customer side of the meter, you may need to call a plumber.
- Montecito Water District is responsible for the repair and maintenance of its water treatment and distribution system up to and including the water meter(s) installed to serve District customers.
Water Loss Adjustments
The District occasionally receives requests from customers to reduce their water bill due to a water leak or water loss which occurred on the customer's side of the water meter.
In order to qualify for a Water Loss Adjustment, the customer must:
- Notify the District of the apparent water loss on their property within one (1) business day of discovering the water loss, or five (5) business days following the customer's receipt of a water bill indicating inconsistent usage on their property, whichever is sooner. The customer must take corrective action, if reasonably available, within forty-eight (48) hours of discovering the water loss or receiving an unusually high water bill for their property, whichever is sooner. Alternatively, the customer shall request the District temporarily shut off the water to the property until such time as the repairs are made. (See Resolution for complete details of the policy.)
- Fill out and submit a Water Loss Adjustment Request Form including any supporting documents to the District within thirty (30) days from the billing date for the period in which the loss occurred.
- Every customer qualifies for a water loss adjustment only once in a 24-month period.
Requests are handled on a case by case basis.